Every year CJAM FM, a non-profit based campus/community radio station in the Windsor/Detroit area holds an annual pledge drive. One week during the year CJAM asks for support from the communities in which it serves on a daily basis. Over the most recent years due in part to help from the Windsor/Detroit communities, CJAM FM managed to secure a new frequency as 99.1 FM under protected status, something that during its run when it was on 91.5 on the FM dial it never had. Most recently the station increased their wattage from 500 watts to 2, 084 watts, reaching more people and branching out further than it ever has before.
The content that CJAM FM provides is an alternative to the mainstream. Artists local and independent find a voice throughout the station’s variety of programs and content. Musically, local and independent bands get exposure that they otherwise wouldn’t and CJAM’s spoken word programming provides differing points of view to issues amongst the Windsor/Detroit communities that would not get coverage if it were not for campus/community radio stations like CJAM. Weekly, DJs and volunteers put in their time to provide programs and content that is unique, different and provides the listener with something different from what you might find in the mainstream media. On many occasions, artists have been discovered through CJAM first and their DJs, volunteers and staff dig deep to provide valuable content. In a world that has streaming and the Internet at your fingertips, CJAM FM (which was one of the first stations to offer a live stream of its radio feed in 1996 and still does so online) continues to provide content that is relevant regardless of musical genre or background.
If you have ever tuned into the station, whether online or on 99.1 FM in the Windsor/Detroit area and have heard something that interested you or lead you to discovering something new, that is a great reason to show your support to CJAM FM. If you would like to support the station and help CJAM continue to grow, there are many options available and a variety of incentives available as a thank you for your support. This can be done by calling 519-971-3630 (in Windsor) or 1-855-344-2526 (in Detroit/out of town) or by donating online at www.cjam.ca or at https://grouprev.com/cjam-revolution-rock
Since this year's program fell on Halloween, all of the songs in my playlist this week were Halloween themed. You can view the play list below.
Saturday Night Playlist:
1. The Moontrekkers - Night Of The Vampire
2. Deja Voodoo - Skeleton At My Party
3. 3-D Invisibles - Jump Off The Screen
4. Kip Tyler - She's My Witch
5. X-Ray Cat Trio - Wolf Cop
6. Screaming Lord Sutch & The Savages - She’s Fallen In Love With A Monster Man
7. The Spooks - Now I'm Gonna Steal Your Soul
8. The Ordinaires - Virgo Intactica
9. The Bambi Molesters - Beach Murder Mystery
10. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Jack The Ripper
11. Indian Wars - Comanche Killer
12. The Brains - Train
13. Pow Wows - Car Cemetery
14. Bob Hafner - Surf Creature
15. The Deadly Ones - It’s Monster Surfing Time
16. The Mummies - The Fly
17. Los Salcos - (Fugitvo De) Alcatraz
18. The Misfits - Return Of The Fly
19. The Cramps - Sunglasses After Dark
20. The Stolen Minks - Black Widow
21. King Khan & BBQ Show - Killing The Wolfman
22. The Sonics - The Witch
To download this weeks program, visit CJAM's schedule page for Revolution Rock and download the file for October 31. Or subscribe to Revolution Rock as a Podcast.