Saturday, August 22, 2015
Revolution Rock: Radio Brain Drain & Episode # 574
On August 16th, 1974 Ramones played their first show as a four-piece band at CBGB’s. To celebrate this fact CJAM FM hosted a selection of programs from August 16-22 that focused on punk music of all forms. Revolution Rock hosted two programs celebrating the spirit and influence of the music created by Ramones.
Revolution Rock: Radio Brain Drain Edition
On Saturday August 22nd, Revolution Rock aired a two-hour program featuring a mixed selection of Ramones songs, including live and demo recordings. There was also music from bands that were influenced by and covered Ramones music and some of the bands that influenced the Ramones.
Saturday Night Radio Brain Drain Playlist:
1. Ramones - Judy Is A Punk (Live At The Roxy 1976)
2. Ramones - Cretin Hop
3. Ramones - Here Today, Gone Tomorrow
4. The Seeds - Try To Understand
5. Shangri-Las - Hate To Say I Told You So
6. Ronettes - Why Don’t They Let Us Fall In Love
7. The Beach Boys - 409 (Original Mono Long Version)
8. Frank Black - I Heard Ramona Sing
9. Ramones - I Don't Wanna Grow Up
10. Tom Waits - The Return Of Jackie & Judy
11. Tom Waits - Danny Says
12. Teenage Head With Marky Ramone - Let's Shake
13. Teenage Head With Marky Ramone - Some Kinda Fun
14. Ramones - Everytime I Eat Vegetables I Think Of You
15. Ramones - I Need Your Love
16. The Strokes - Life’s A Gas
17. Sonic Youth - Beat On The Brat
18. The Who - I'm A Boy
19. New York Dolls - Trash
20. Johnny Thunders & The Heartbreakers - Born To Lose
21. Ramones - Chinese Rock
22. Ramones - I Can’t Get You Outta My Mind
23. The Undertones - Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue (Live At The Casbah 1977)
24. The Dishrags - I Don’t Wanna Walk Around With You
25. The Action - TV's On The Blink
26. Lowlife - Thinking Naturally
27. Stark Naked & The Fleshtones - I Broke Her Heart, She Broke My Arm
28. The Real Mackenzies - Dropping Like Flies
29. Sleater-Kinney - I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone
30. Ramonetures - I Wanna Be Well
31. Elvis Presley - Trying To Get To You
32. Ramones - Slug (Demo)
33. Ramones - Chainsaw
34. Ramones - Teenage Lobotomy
To download this weeks program, visit CJAM's schedule page for Revolution Rock and download the file for August 22. Or subscribe to Revolution Rock as a Podcast.
As a side note and for those keeping count, episode 573 of Revolution Rock was a repeat episode that originally aired back in April 2015. You can download that episode here and find the playlist in this post.
Revolution Rock: The Last Pogo Jumps Again Edition
In December 2014, I interviewed Colin Brunton who along with Kire Paputts directed The Last Pogo Jumps Again. This is a documentary chronicling the early Toronto punk/new wave music scenes form 1976-1978. I re-aired this interview with a selection of bands from the early Toronto punk/new wave music scenes for this special episode of Revolution Rock that aired on Tuesday 18.
Here is an excerpt from a review I did of the film:
From what began at a theatre that used to show B-movies entitled the 99 Cent Roxy in conjunction with the Ramones playing a series of shows at a venue called The New Yorker, a chord was struck with aspiring musicians and artists alike. Both of these venues were run by who are referred to as the two Gary’s (Gary Topp and Gary Cormier), who both supported the scene and booked acts and many of the venues that they would run throughout the early parts of this scene. The Last Pogo Jumps Again leaps into coverage of several of the heavyweights in this early music scene such as The Diodes, who took their power pop influenced punk sounds to CBS Records Canada, becoming the first Canadian punk band signed to a major label and The Viletones. They took punk to new extremes, both literally and musically.
Read the full review here.
Check out the interview I did with Colin Brunton:
1. The Diodes - Shapes Of Things To Come
2. The Secrets - Rock Music
3. The Poles - Prime Time
4. The Dishes - Summer Reaction (Crash & Burn)
5. The Curse - I Accuse You (Demo)
6. The Fits - Bored of Education
COLIN BRUNTON: THE LAST POGO JUMPS AGAIN INTERVIEW
7. The Government - Flat Tire
8. The Scenics - I'm Hurt
9. Cardboard Brains - Babies Run My World (Live)
10. The Mods - Step Out Tonight (Live)
11. The Viletones - Possibilites
Download this episode here.