Saturday, October 29, 2016
CJAM FM Pledge Drive 2016 & Show # 627
Every year CJAM FM holds an annual pledge drive. The reason for this is CJAM (like other campus/community based radio stations in Canada) is a non-profit organization. All of the money raised during the week of pledge drive (which occurs for one week, once a year) goes towards the station, which is built on volunteers and programming made for the Windsor/Detroit communities. This year CJAM FM has a goal of raising $40, 000 dollars for their pledge drive campaign. You can show your support by donating in a variety of ways. Incentives are offered as a thank you for your support. Here are some reasons why a station like CJAM FM is still important and relevant in our modern digital age.
1. Programming is alternative to the mainstream. All of the programming on CJAM FM is created by volunteer programmers who put in their own time to make unique programs. Many independent bands from Windsor and Detroit are featured on our programs. If it were not for a place like CJAM, many bands would not have their voices heard in a larger context. The same goes for spoken word content featured on the station. CJAM broadcasts in over eight different languages. CJAM does things differently for the community and is created by students and programmers from our communities.
2. CJAM day by day. As mentioned during last year’s pledge drive, CJAM FM was the second campus radio station in Canada to have live streaming content. They first began doing so in 1996. This was done so because of supporters of the station. Funds raised during pledge drive also go to assist in the day-to-day operations at the station. They go towards radio broadcasting equipment, microphones, CD players, computers, their website and the general upkeep of the station.
3. Campus/community radio is still relevant. Despite the plethora of music, podcasts and internet based content, CJAM FM provides a multiple, more focused viewpoint on a variety of musical genres and spoken word/political content that is often ignored by mainstream media. In many cases, DJs provide unique programming that you won’t find anywhere else. By listening to CJAM FM, you won’t get lost in the digital world of the Internet. You can find interesting content simply by tuning in on 99.1 FM in Windsor/Detroit or by streaming/downloading programs off CJAM’s website.
If you have ever listened to the station online or on the FM dial, you can show your support for the station by calling 519-971-3630 (in Windsor) or 1-855-344-2526 (in Detroit/out of town) or by donating securely online at www.cjam.ca or at https://grouprev.com/cjamfm
You can download/listen to the 2016 pledge drive edition Revolution Rock below the playlist.
1. Devo - Let's Talk
2. 9th Wave - Zombies Attack!
3. The Pharaohs - The Green Werewolf
4. Glenn Branca - Structure
5. Lydia Lunch - Red Alert
6. Mars - Helen Fordsdale
7. Sonic Youth - Freezer Burn/I Wanna Be Your Dog
8. Preoccupations - Zodiac
10. Angel Olsen - Never Be Mine
11. Shotgun Jimmie with Jose Contreras - Field Of Trampolines (CJAM Session)
12. Danny Kroha - Come Out The Wilderness (CJAM Session)
13. Chris Crossroads - 20 Eyes (CJAM Session)
14. The Growlers - City Club
15. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Anthrocene
16. Bon Iver - 666 I
17. Iggy Pop - Nightclubbing
18. Tim Presley - The Wink
19. Tuns - Look Who's Back In Town Again
20. Paul Jacobs - I'm Into What You're Into
21. Ramones - Planet Earth 1988
To download this weeks program, visit CJAM's schedule page for Revolution Rock and download the file for October 29.