Monday, December 22, 2014
The Clash Live - Joe Strummer Day 2014 (Show 539)
For CJAM FM’s 5th annual Joe Strummer Day marathon, where the station addresses issues related to poverty in the Windsor/Detroit area surrounded by the music created by Joe Strummer and The Clash, I hosted a two-hour program featuring a selection of live Clash recordings. These recordings range from a wide variety of Clash bootlegs to material from official Clash live releases From Here To Eternity: Live (1999) and Live At Shea Stadium (2008).
Here are some recordings of note that were featured on this program:
Bonds International Casino 1981
In May-June of 1981, The Clash played a series of live shows in New York City. Initially the band were to play a series of eight live shows throughout the end of May and in early June 1981. Due to the venue reaching over capacity because of tickets being oversold by promoters, the fire department had to intervene. This resulted in a planned May 30th show being cancelled, but the band decided to extend the amount of shows they were to play. The Clash wound up playing a total of 17 live shows during this May-June period, sometimes playing two shows in a day. While widely bootlegged, some of these shows were recorded professionally. Performances from the bands June 13th date turned up on the 1999 From Here To Eternity: Live album. This album compiled various recordings from 1978-1982 from the band’s career. The band’s time at Bonds was also documented in Don Letts’ Westway To The World documentary.
Live At The Agora Theater, Cleveland, Ohio 1979
In February 1979, The Clash embarked on their first US tour. Playing with Bo Diddley as support on this nine-show tour, the band dubbed this tour the “Pearl Harbor” tour. This show features many songs from the band’s Give 'Em Enough Rope period and the songs and singles from the band’s first titled album. All of these songs are prior to the release of the Cost Of Living EP released in May 1979 and London Calling, which would be released in December 1979. Other facts of note during this period in the band’s career are that the first self-titled album was not initially released in the US. As a result, the album was a high selling import album, reportedly selling 100,000 copies. A modified version of The Clash’s first album was released in 1979 for the US market expanding to the original track listing. In reference to the recording of this live show at the Agora Theater, it is from a soundboard source, but it is however rough sounding at times. Despite this, The Clash’s show at The Agora Theater on February 13th, 1979 features an early example of the band in their explosive live glory on one of the dates on their first US tour. Some of these recordings have also been broadcast on the King Biscuit Flower Hour radio program.
JSD 2014 Play List:
1. What’s My Name (Music Machine, London, England - July 27th, 1978 - From Here To Eternity: Live)
2. English Civil War (The Lewisham Odeon, London, England - February 18th, 1980 - From Here To Eternity II)
3. Safe European Home (The Lyceum Theatre, London - December 28, 1978 - From Here To Eternity II)
4. Jail Guitar Doors (The Lyceum Theatre, London - December 28, 1978)
5. Guns Of Brixton (Bonds International Casino - NYC - June 13th, 1981 - From Here To Eternity)
6. (White Man) In Hammersmith Palais (Reital France - June 14th, 1980)
7. Police & Thieves (The Agora - Cleveland, Ohio - February 13th, 1979)
8. The Prisoner (St. Paul, Minnesota - June 12th, 1979)
9. I Never Did It (The 100 Club - London, England - August 31st, 1976)
10. How Can I Understand The Flies (The 100 Club - London, England - August 31st, 1976)
11. Remote Control (Mont De Marsan Festival - France - August 5th, 1977)
12. Cheapskates (The Lyceum Theatre, London - December 28, 1978 - From Here To Eternity II)
13. City Of The Dead (The Agora - Cleveland, Ohio - February 13th, 1979)
14. Jimmy Jazz (The Capitol Theater - Passaic, NJ - March 8th, 1980)
15. Stay Free (The Capitol Theater - Passaic, NJ - March 8th, 1980)
16. Magnificent Seven Armagideon Time Medley (Shea Stadium - October 13th, 1982 - Live At Shea Stadium)
17. Ivan Meets GI Joe (Japp Edenhall - Amsterdam, Netherlands - May 10th, 1981)
18. Bankrobber (Brixton Fair Deal - London, England - July 30, 1982)
19. One More Time (Japp Edenhall - Amsterdam, Netherlands - May 10th, 1981)
20. London Calling (Japp Edenhall - Amsterdam, Netherlands - May 10th, 1981)
21. Radio Clash (Bonds International Casino - NYC - June 9th, 1981)
22. The Call Up (Bonds International Casino - NYC - June 9th, 1981)
23. Complete Control (Bonds International Casino - NYC - June 13th, 1981 - From Here To Eternity)
24. Koka Kola (The Palladium - NYC - September 21, 1979)
25. I'm So Bored With The USA (The Palladium - NYC - September 21, 1979)
26. I Fought The Law (The Lyceum Theatre, London - December 28, 1978)
27. Janie Jones (Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, Illinois - September 14, 1979)
28. Garageland (The Capitol Theater - Passaic, NJ - March 8th, 1980)
Download this program here!
Check out and download some of the other programs from CJAM FM's Joe Strummer Day 2014 here!