This week I focused on mainly newer bands. I played a variety of bands ranging from the 90s to today; the only exception was The Stooges I played a song from their new album The Weirdness. It's an old band, but a new album.
Fiction Plane is a newer band. They emerged in 2003 with their album titled Everything Will Never Be Ok. The band is fronted by singer/bassist/guitarist Joe Sumner, Dan Brown (Bass/keyboards), Senton Daunt (guitar), and Pete Wilhoit (drums). The singer is the son of famous songwriter Sting. When they initially released their first full length album, they didn't want to be known as sting's kids band, they didn't want their fans to be influenced by that aspect. Their influences are said to be The Specials and Nirvana, but the band comes off sounding more like U2 and Radiohead. In 2005, they released the EP Bitter Forces and Lame Horse Races. They are currently in the middle of an album to be titled Left Side of The Brain. They are also currently opening for The Police on their reunion tour, and have opened for sting for his broken music tour. Dan Brown a founding member of the group. left in 2006.
I also played the new Arctic Monkeys track "Brianstorm". The band is set to release their follow-up album to Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not, titled Favorite Worst Nightmare; its set to be released in April.
Next Week my show will not be airing, it will be pre-empted. CJAM is running a live broadcast to coincide with the Dig Your Roots compilation. I will return the week after (April 3rd) at 9pm.
Also CJAM is taking votes for this years Jammy awards. I won last year for best punk/hard rock show. So visit cjam.ca and vote for my show and your favourite CJAM shows.
Here's the play list:
1. The Hives – knock knock
2. Arctic Monkeys – brianstorm
3. Fiction Plane – wise
4. Albert Hammond Jr. – in transit
5. The Odds – make you mad
6. Marble Index – I believe
7. The Expos – little red hook
8. Dead 60’s – the last resort
9. Exploding Hearts – not the fall that hurts
10. Love Me Nots – cry
11. Dirty Pretty Things – B.U.R.M.A.
12. Nirvana – serve the servants
13. Franz Ferdinand – fade together
14. The Rapture – pieces of the people that we love
15. Radio 4 – caroline
16. Queens Of The Stone Age – tangled up in plaid
17. The Stooges – the weirdness
18. Rage Against The Machine – new millennium homes
19. Pearl Jam – severed hand
20. Ride Theory – dead radio love
21. Hot, Hot, Heat – this town
22. The D4 – diamond, ruby, stone